On August 20, 2022, Ethereum Classic’s hashrate reached an all-time high at block height 15,776,674 as it tapped 38.37 terahash per second (TH/s). The crypto asset has seen its hashrate surge since Wednesday, August 17, jumping 39.22% higher from 27.56 TH/s to the all-time high (ATH).
Ethereum Classic’s Hashpower Skyrockets to 38.37 Terahash
- Roughly six years after ethereum classic (ETC) miners mined the first ETC block at block height 1,920,000, ETC’s hashrate tapped an ATH on August 20, 2022. ETC’s hashrate reached 38.37 TH/s at block height 15,776,674.
- The hashrate has been added to the ETC chain as Ethereum (ETH) approaches The Merge upgrade on or around September 15, 2022. Four days ago, on August 17, ETC hashrate was 27.56 TH/s and its jumped 39.22% higher since that day.
- ETC’s largest mining pool is Ethermine as it commands 8.05 TH/s, which is followed by Poolin’s 8.02 TH/s. Ethermine’s and Poolin’s combined hashrate of around 16 TH/s is more than 40% of ETC’s global hashrate.
- ETC was initiated after the DAO hack in 2016 and the first ETC block was mined on July 20, 2016. Proponents of ETC believe it is the original unchanged Ethereum blockchain as the DAO hard fork erased the event from the blockchain.
- In a commitment to sticking to proof-of-work, Ethereum Classic developers removed the difficulty bomb from the ETC chain. ETC’s difficulty bomb removal took place at block height 5,900,000.
- While Ethereum Classic (ETC) has seen a significant hashrate spike, other Ethash-based token networks like Ravencoin (RVN), Ergo (ERGO), and Beam (BEAM) have not see any substantial increases in hashpower.
- Ethereum Classic’s all-time hashrate high follows the many predictions that forecasted ETH’s hashrate would migrate to ETC. Last week, JPMorgan market strategists predicted that ETC would likely be one of the main beneficiaries of The Merge.
- Meanwhile, as ETC has seen a significant hashrate increase, roughly 1 petahash per second (PH/s) or 1,000 terahash (TH/s) is still dedicated to the Ethereum (ETH) blockchain.
Tags in this story
What do you think about Ethereum Classic’s hashrate reaching an all-time on August 20? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Jamie Redman is the News Lead at Bitcoin.com News and a financial tech journalist living in Florida. Redman has been an active member of the cryptocurrency community since 2011. He has a passion for Bitcoin, open-source code, and decentralized applications. Since September 2015, Redman has written more than 5,700 articles for Bitcoin.com News about the disruptive protocols emerging today.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.