For many people, international travel is a bucket-list item. The idea of traveling the world can be alluring, but isn’t it expensive? Well, it doesn’t have to break your budget.
Today, we’re going to talk about how you can travel abroad on a budget — and maybe even do it for weeks at a time.
That’s what this week’s “Money!” podcast is about. As usual, my co-host will be Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson. Listening in and sometimes contributing is producer and novice investor Aaron Freeman.
You can watch this episode below, or if you’d prefer to listen, you can do that with the player at the top of this article. Or, you can download it wherever you get your podcasts:
Martin just got back from spending time in Mexico and Colombia — and doing it on the cheap. He routinely travels for weeks at a time during the winter months as a way to escape the snow and cold in Canada. Find out how he does it — and get tips for how to travel abroad on a budget — by listening to this week’s podcast.
How to travel abroad on a budget
If you’re looking for some ideas for traveling abroad while on a budget, Martin and I share our stories of frequent slow travel. Plus, we have some additional resources to help you find the perfect places to go:
- Check out our podcast episode on 5 Countries Where You Can Retire on $2,000 a Month or Less
- 10 Travel Hacks to Save You Money When Booking a Vacation
- 21 Ways to Save Money on International Travel
- 10 Travel Freebies to Snag in 2022
- If you want to travel more, consider a remote job: 25 Fully Remote Companies Hiring Now
- Here’s How to Get a Travel Insurance Policy That Makes Sense
- How to Avoid Crazy Cell Phone Fees When Traveling Abroad
Tips for saving up money for travel
Whether you’re traveling abroad or staying closer to home, our podcast episode is full of great ideas for saving money on travel. Here are some additional resources that can help you make the most of your next trip.
- Rent an RV for Spring Travel
- 18 Travel Products that Save You Time and Money
- 9 of the Best Ways to Save Money on a Tight Budget
- 4 Smart Ways to Defend Yourself Against Soaring Gas Prices
- Check out Martin’s blog post on how to use Airbnb to make money — even if you don’t own property
- Miranda has a post on her blog about how she sets up a travel fund to cover costs
Meet this week’s guest, Martin Dasko
Martin Dasko has been blogging about personal finance since 2008, when he was a student who just wanted some money to have fun.
Martin has been helping readers figure out the confusing world of money management without missing out on the party since then. Martin helps you with saving money, building wealth, and finding ways to make more money.
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
About the hosts
Stacy Johnson founded Money Talks News in 1991. He’s a CPA, and has also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Miranda Marquit, MBA, is a financial expert, writer and speaker. She’s been covering personal finance and investing topics for almost 20 years. When not writing and podcasting, she enjoys travel, reading and the outdoors.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.